Dr. Tresa SambenedettoFellowship Trained Foot and Ankle Surgeon
Dr. Tresa Sambenedetto is a fellowship trained foot and ankle surgeon in Western Pennsylvania. Dr. Sambenedetto is originally from the Orlando, Florida area where she graduated with her Bachelor of Science from the University of Central Florida. She then went on to Barry University’s College of Podiatric Medicine in Miami, Florida where she graduated with Pi Delta National Honors. She then completed her three-year surgical residency at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center. Her residency included comprehensive training in forefoot, rearfoot and ankle surgery/reconstruction as well as trauma, plastic surgery, advanced wound care and diabetic limb salvage. After her residency, she completed an additional one-year fellowship in Reconstructive Foot and Ankle Surgery and Diabetic Limb Salvage under the directorship of Dr. Dane K. Wukich, MD.
She is currently employed by ASP Orthopedics and Sports Medicine of Beaver, PA and serves as the Associate Residency Director of the Heritage Valley Beaver Podiatric Residency Program. She is actively involved in training and educating residents and medical students. Dr. Sambenedetto also practices at the Heritage Valley Wound Care Center where she employs advanced wound care treatments and is certified in Hyperbaric Oxygen therapy. She is published in numerous scientific journals and has spoken nationally as well as internationally on her research on diabetic foot disease.
- Bachelor of Science: University of Central Florida, Orlando, FL
- Doctor of Podiatric Medicine: Barry University, College of Podiatric Medicine and Surgery, Miami, FL
- Podiatric Medicine and Surgery Residency: University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, PA
- Fellowship (Department of Orthopaedics): University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, PA
Additional Educational Courses
- Hyperbaric Certification by the Undersea and Hyperbaric Medical Society
Introductory Course in Hyperbaric Medicine and Wound Care
40 hours face-to-face instruction, Pittsburgh, PA
- AO Basic Skills Course
Introductory internal fixation course, La Jolla, CA
- Foot and Ankle Arthroscopy
American Society of Podiatric Surgeons, Pittsburgh PA
- Master Techniques in Delta Frame External Fixators
Synthes delta frame course, Pittsburgh, PA
- Master Techniques in Circular External Fixators
Synthes circular external fixation course, Pittsburgh, PA
- Techniques in Intramedullary Rods for the Lower Extremity
Synthes Hindfoot/Ankle intramedullary nail fixation, Pittsburgh, PA
- Athrex Surgical Skills Workshop
Surgical Skills Symposium and Workshop for Fellows, Naples, FL
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support/Basic Life Support
ACLS/BLS, Pittsburgh, PA
- Restorix Physician Leadership Course
Physician leadership skills course, Las Vegas, NV
- Associate Residency Director
Heritage Valley Beaver Podiatric Medicine and Surgery Residency Program
Heritage Valley Health Systems, Beaver, PA
- American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons Association
- American Podiatric Medical Association
- Pennsylvania Podiatric Medical Association
Research & Publications
- Foot and Ankle Anatomy
UPMC Podiatry AOFAS Lecture Series; Pittsburgh, PA, 7/2012
- Permanent Antibiotic Coated Intramedullary Nail in Diabetic Limb Salvage
Poster Presentation – Annual Scientific Conference, American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons, Shinabarger AB, Sambenedetto TL, Woods JB, Burns PR; Las Vegas, NV, 2/2013.
- Achilles Tendon Pathology
UPMC Podiatry AOFAS Lecture Series, Pittsburgh, PA; 11/2013 and 12/2014.
- Foot and Ankle Arthroscopy
UPMC Podiatry AOFAS Lecture Series; Pittsburgh, PA, 3/2014.
- Rheumatoid Arthritis and the Rheumatoid Foot
UPMC Podiatry AOFAS Lecture Series; Pittsburgh, PA, 3/2015
- UPMC Mercy Research Day Poster: The Presence of Osteomyelitis on Outcomes of Hospitalized Patients with Diabetic Foot Infections
Sambenedetto TL, Hobizal K, Wukich DK; Pittsburgh, PA, 2015.
- The Presence of Osteomyelitis on Outcomes of Hospitalized Patients with Diabetic Foot Infections — presented by Dr Hobizal at the 7th International Symposium on the Diabetic Foot
Hobizal K, Sambenedetto TL, Wukich DK; The Hague, Netherlands, 5/2015.
- Perioperative Glycemic Control and Impact on Surgical Site Infections
Oral Poster Presentation – 7th International Symposium on the Diabetic Foot
Sadoskas D, Sambenedetto TL, Wukich DK. The Hague, Netherlands, 5/2015
- Correlation of SF-36 and SF-12 Component Scores in Patients with Diabetic Foot Disease.
Oral Podium Presentation — American College Foot and Ankle Surgeons Annual Scientific Conference. Sambenedetto TL, Mota NM, Wukich DK. 2/2016.
- Wukich DK, Hobizal KB, Sambenedetto TS, Kirby K, Rosario BL. Outcomes of Osteomyelitis in Patients Hospitalized With Diabetic Foot Infections. Foot and Ankle International. 2016
- 11. Wukich DK, Sambenedetto TL, Mota NM, Suder NC, Rosario BL. Correlation of SF-36 and SF-12 Component Scores in Patients With Diabetic Foot Disease. J Foot Ankle Surg. 2016
Tresa Sambenedetto, DPM
Dr. Sambenedetto is a fellowship trained foot and ankle surgeon.